Once upon a time, there was a very successful businessman named Jason. He had amassed an incredible fortune. He had all the worldly treasures that anyone would ever want. He had the picture-perfect family. He dressed impeccably, he traveled to far off lands, he shook hands with amazing individuals, but all the while he was miserable. He loathed his demanding schedule and somewhere along the way he had lost his passion for life. He admired others who had mastered their inner fire; who fanned the flames of possibilities in their lives. At this point in his career he had become a robot, a servant to the necessity of living rather than the joys of life. He was restless in these days of his life.
As he was walking down the street one day, a younger man approached him and handed him a business card. “Sir, I couldn’t help but notice you weren’t smiling, and I always think we have lots to smile about. Don’t you?”
Jason couldn’t help but snicker. As he looked down at the card it said GROW Coaching and as he flipped over the back of the card he saw the man’s contact information Patrick Smith, Transpersonal Life Coach. His tag line read, “What is your dream for this lifetime?”
Jason stuffed Patrick’s card into his pocket and continued walking down the street to his meeting. As he sat in his business meeting he was distracted by his most recent encounter. Who was this man who had randomly bumped into him on the street, but more importantly why was he thinking about him? He leaned into the curiosity he felt and chuckled.
Jason went on about his life and about two months later as he was walking down the street he again randomly bumped into Patrick. Patrick met him with an incredible smile. “Good to see you again Jason. I wondered when I would run into you again!”
Jason stopped dead in his tracks. He pulled out his calendar and began asking Jason several questions. Patrick could feel Jason’s curiosity growing as they continued conversing about the services that Patrick offered. By the end of their encounter Jason had scheduled a meeting with Patrick to find out what this GROW Coaching business was all about.
Two weeks later as Jason strolled into Patrick’s office, he was greeted by a rather cheery receptionist who offered him something warm to drink. As he sat down in the waiting area he wasn’t sure what he was doing there, but at this point, what did he have to lose? The door cracked open and out walked Patrick.
“Jason, so amazing to see you today. Head on into my office buddy!” Jason headed in and made himself comfortable. As Patrick stared back into the office he smiled as he could feel his new client’s life was about to change.
Patrick walked in and shook Jason’s hand. “I’m really glad you decided to come in and explore my coaching practice. I am excited to be connecting with you today. Why don’t you tell me a little bit about yourself, and what your dream looks like for this lifetime?”
Jason stared blankly at Patrick. “Well, I’m not really even sure at this point in my life. I’m so good at being busy, I don’t even know what I like any more. I get up, go to work, provide for my family, attend family functions, go to bed and do it all over again. I don’t even think I like what I do, but I’m good at it. I haven’t taken any risks in the past 10 years. I don’t feel like I have a lot of support within my organization. I haven’t done any continuing education to freshen up my perspective and I don’t know if I empower my team? I love my kids, and I’ve been happily married for 20 years. I guess that’s it. I just feel disconnected from my goals.”
Patrick thoughtfully held a space for Jason to sit with the realizations he had just shared. “Jason, I’m here to work in a collaborative way with you. And if you are open to it, I’d like to know what you’d like to get out of this? In our work, you are the expert on your life. I help hold a container so that you can think thoughts you’ve never thought. I want to know how we can make this process more fun for you? I will work with you to hold you accountable to your goals and to unearth your motivations. In this container, you can simplify your goals and reconnect to your passions so that you are living a more alive and aware life. How’s that sound to you?
Jason took a deep breath. “That sounds just like what I need.”
Patrick smiled as he felt his new client shifting into the unique possibilities of his life. “Here’s some of what we’ll explore together. My teacher Michael shared these vital lessons with me during my journey.”
- Is your goal worth it? - It’s easy to get lost in what others want for you. It’s easy to be so amazing at a task, but to not have passion for it anymore. In our work together we will explore your goals and see if they reflect your core values? Steve Jobs offers a very inspirational thought on this notion: “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
- Is your goal energizing you and exciting you? My teacher Michael Malone shared, “If your goals don’t excite you as much as vacation-perhaps reassess.” How will you feel when you’ve accomplished your goal? If your goal is not allowing your entire beingness to feel alive, then perhaps you need to reassess.
- The achievement process is enjoyment. – What if you shifted your understanding in relationship to your goals. My friend, goals benefit you as you are attaining them. It’s not arriving at the destination, but what you learn about yourself in the process. How can we make your goals more fun? As Ralph Waldo Emerson shared, “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
- Goals are based on love, not fear. - How would your life change if you pursued your goals with the energy of love? When we walk with fear in our back pocket, we are in constant need of approval and power. There is no chance of winning in this set up, because we are beginning from a place of lack. How can you share your unique gifts and give back to the world?
- Your goals will help you to become a better person. - “Are your goals helping you grow as a person? How would your life shift if you were to apply meaning to the pursuit of your goals? Personal, emotional, mental, and spiritual meaning will help you to grow and expand into the world around you. "Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." – Muhammad Ali
The parable of Patrick and Jason is a very common story unfolding for millions. Somewhere along the way, perhaps you have lost touch with your goals and passions. Perhaps you have been so busy living the ‘comfortable familiar life’ that you find yourself searching for more. If like Jason, you are ready to be living your dream of this lifetime then maybe you are looking to connect with a life coach. If you can relate to Patrick, then perhaps you are ready to add transpersonal life coaching to your profession?
If you have been thinking about becoming a Transpersonal Life Coach, then checkout a similar article I wrote on this subject, “Want to become a Life Coach? 5 Questions to ask yourself.”
- What would you try now if you knew you could not fail?
- What are the top 5 things in your life that give you joy?
- Who is on your team to support you?
- What courses will support the unfoldment of your coaching business?
- How does becoming a life coach help you to empower others?
As C. S. Lewis said, “You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream.” If you are interested in more information about our life coaching program, then check out the link provided. We truly want you to live your dream for this lifetime.
Here is a full listing of our certified Transpersonal Life Coaches